Knowledge City Summit 2009: KBD State of the Art Panel: Global Perspectives
The Chair of this session was Giovanni Schiuma. He showed some inspiring videos about "Changing Tires can be dangerous" and linked it to the development of knowledge management in organizations. Further on he made a nice citation: "the pillars for the knowledge society are trust, friendship and happiness).
KBD as a global field of research and practice
- Speaker: Javier Carrillo
- "The concept of Knowledge Based Developmenet (KBD) and Knowledge City (KC) follow the realization that conventional economic analysis and economic growth theory fail to account for most of the distinctive value dimensions of knowledge-based production and overall social worth".
- Transitional vs. Radical KBD.
- Knowledge City Definition: "A permanent settlement of relatively higher rank in which the citizenship undertakes a deliberate, systematic attempt ...".
WCI Editorial Programme
- Speaker: Tan Yigitcanlar
- Journals, Books, Other Publications
- Journal Knowledge Management annual special issue (from 2006 onwards).
- International Journal of Knowledge Based Development (IJKBD).
- New Book: Knowledge-Based Development for Cities and Societies.
- Journal of Knowledge-Based Organisation.
- Urban Studies.
- From next year onwards the Knowledge Cities Summit will be an annual event.
- Knowledge Cities Executive Board (2010 TBA at the Closing Ceremony, 2011 Open for Bidding).
- Academic Exchange Programme (2011 onwards).
WCI Awards Programme
- Speaker: Blanca Garcia
- 3 Editions: 2007, 2008, 2009.
- MAKCi as a KCs Observatory and a network of practice.
WCI R&D Program
- Speaker: Javier Carillo
- Knowledge Economy and Knowledge Society: Limits, Elements and Rules
- Sample Project: KBD metrics (indicator systems, best practices, constraints, best fit method, analytical index for the MAKCi study, international collaboration).